Hey, hey! Time for lunch.
I will be the first to admit that I looove chickpeas. They are the smartest food ever. I mean they taste great on their own, but also take on some really cool flavours when mixed just right. Filling. Nutritious. And oh so versatile. You probably have most of these ingredients in your kitchen already. Nothing particularly fancy here. This time chickpeas are mashed up and mixed with carrot, mild curry spices and some sweet currants. Garam masala is a curry powder that is mild and sweet smelling. It’s my go-to curry powder simply because it smells so good. It’s nice for the kids because it has very little, if any, heat to it. This lunch is vegan is you use Veganise and a vegan wrap.
You can easily make this recipe ahead of time for lunches. The filling will keep for a several days in a tightly sealed container and refrigerated. Stuff into pita bread or tortilla wraps or a nice leaf of butter lettuce.
Curried Chickpea Wraps
- 2 large carrots shredded
- 1 18 oz can chickpeas about 2 cups cooked, rinsed and well drained
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon garam masala curry spice
- 2 tablespoons currants soaked in hot water to plump and drained, then chopped
- 1/4 of mayo plus more to your taste
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- pinch of salt
- If you haven't already, poor some hot water over the currants so they plump up a bit before you drain and chop them.
- In a skillet, warm oil over medium heat. Add garlic, garam marsala and carrots. Saute until carrots are soften. About 5 minutes. Stir in green onions and remove from heat.
- In a food processor, add chickpeas and pulse several times until coarsely chopped. (Alternatively, you could mash the chickpeas in a bowl with a fork).
- Transfer mashed chickpeas to a large bowl. Add carrot mixture, salt, mayo, chopped currants and rice wine vinegar. Blend well. Taste for seasonings.
- Serve in a wrap or in lettuce leaves.
Substitute raisins for currants
Thank’s for visiting. I’m Trish. I share healthy family recipes to inspire your family to eat their veggies and save room for cake!