For a healthy and easy party dip, try this Olive and Lentil tapenade.
I’ve been buried in cookbooks for weeks trying to find the most perfect appetizer. I wanted something healthy, but full-flavour, something rich, but snacky. I finally settled on this dip. It’s a good make-ahead, always important in my book.
This recipe is from a new book that has somehow managed to find its way into my library. (shhhhh!)….Julie Daniluk’s book Meals That Heal Inflammation. I can’t tell you how excited I am about this book – because I will tell you about it later. For now you need to know that I essentially followed the recipe as written in the book except that I reduced the olive oil a bit. Julie’s recipe calls for 1/3 of a cup, I used just enough to help the dip come together – use more if you feel you need it.
This is a healthier version of tapenade — less oil, a bit more fibre but all the flavour. Use good olives!
A few more tips for this easy Olive and Lentil Tapenade
- You can use green or black olives, or some combination. I like kalamatas for the intense briny flavour.
- Use good quality extra virgin olive oil to highlight the olive flavour.
- The lentils add a lovely texture and make this dip a bit more filling then just straight up tapenade.
- Don’t skip the capers. I love capers.
Olive and Lentil Tapenade
- 1 18 oz can green lentils rinsed and drained, or about 2 cups
- 1 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 1 large clove of garlic
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 cup of lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Throw lentils, olives, garlic, parsley, capers in the bowl of your food processor and process until uniformly chopped up. Add lemon zest, juice, drizzle in olive oil and pulse until you have a nice consistency. Go easy with the processing, you don’t want a purée.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and serve with chopped veggies, corn chips or pita wedges. This dip has nice flavour at room temperature – perfect for potlucks when it could be sitting out for a while.
More dips and spreads
Hi, I’m Trish. I share clean and healthy recipes balanced with a generous serving of cake. You will find vegan, gluten-free and plant-based recipes too. Thanks for visiting!