Peanut butter and chocolate baked into a perfect for snacking cake.
These little peanut butter chocolate chip banana cakes just might remind you of that favourite chocolate and peanut butter treat. I won’t mention it by name. But it is my favourtie thing ever.
When I first start out with this recipe, my intention was something that was low sugar and relatively healthy for the kids after school. But I think I’ve over done the chocolate chips and I just can’t call them “healthy” anymore. But I’m okay with that. The way the chocolate cracks on the top after they have completely cooled just might be the best part of your day. Sure, there is 3 whole bananas in there (and those bananas keep these moist for days) .. and I didn’t add any extra sugar, but I’m not fooling anyone. This cake is a cake. That is all. So eat the cake.
For the topping, I’ve simply sprinkled milk chocolate and peanut butter chips on top of the hot cake.
Reese’s Peanut butter chips!
Right out of the oven. Let the chocolate and peanut butter chips sit for a few minutes and soften. They will then spread easily with an offset spatula. Easy. Be gentle and if the chips still seem too hard, or not soft enough to spread evenly, just wait a few minutes longer. eventually, they will completely warm up from the hot cake and will spread nice and smooth.
I like to these best once the chocolate has gotten hard again. I like they way it cracks and reminds me of biting into a good chocolate bar. But of course you can eat them while they are still warm. They will cut better once cooled.
For the top I’ve used half Reese’s peanut butter chips and half milk chocolate chips. You can use all milk chocolate if you like. Reese’s peanut butter chips just give you more peanut butter. 🙂 And today I’m all about that.
I’ve also baked these in a 8×12 baking tin. You can use a square 8×8 or 9×9 if you like, but you will need to adjust the baking time. I like these little cakes, little. Short and thin with a crunchy coat of chocolate on top. I cut them small, so they are only a bit or two.
Here is how you make Peanut Butter Banana Cakes:
Peanut butter and chocolate chip banana cakes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup mashed bananas
- 1/4 cup vanilla flavoured sweetened yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup peanuts chopped
- 1-1/2 cups chocolate chips divided
- Preheat oven to 350 and prepare a 8-12 baking tin.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, mash bananna and then beat in peanut better and yogurt until smooth. Beat in the egg until completely incorporated. Gradually add in dry ingredients, mix until just combined. Add 1/2 cup of chocolate chips and chopped peanuts and mix gently so that they are evenly distributed.
- Pour into prepared baking tin, spreading cake batter out to reach the sides. It will be a very thin cake.
- Bake 18-20 minutes or until cake is lightly browned around the edges and springy on top. Remove from the oven and immediately sprinkle chocolate chips on top. Let the chips sit for a few minutes, they will soften and melt. The use an offset spatula to spread the chocolate. Allow to cool completely before cutting into small squares. Will keep refridgerated in an air-tight container for several days.
Pin this for later
Thank’s for visiting. I’m Trish. I share healthy family recipes to inspire your family to eat their veggies and save room for cake!