This is a sweet vegetarian chili with curry flavours. The brown sugar adds the right about of sweetness to complement the cinnamon and spices.
Adapted from WeightWatcher “Slow Good” cookbook
Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Chili
- 2 leeks, white parts only, sliced length-wise and chopped
- 1 large zucchini, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 (19oz) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (19oz) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 (540ml) can diced tomatoes with jalapeno or chili style
- 1 (14oz) can tomato sauce (no salt added)
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons chilli powder
- 2 Tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons curry powder (garam marsla is my favourite)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 pound green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
Heat olive oil in large non-stick fry pan on medium heat and saute leeks and zucchini until translucent and soft, 5-7 minutes. Add leek and zucchini mixture along with all remaining ingredients, except green beans, to the insert of slow cooker and mix well. Add green beans to top, do not mix in. Cook on high 4-5 hours or on low 8-10 hours. Stir in green beans before serving.
Thank’s for visiting. I’m Trish. I share healthy family recipes to inspire your family to eat their veggies and save room for cake!