Roasted Beet Salad
serves 4 as a side dish, or 2 as a lunch sized meal
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time40 mins
- 4-5 beets stem-ends removed, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 large fat carrots peeled,cut into 2 inch chunks
- 1 sweet potato peeled, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1-2 teaspoons olive oil to coat
- 1 teaspoon herbs de province or your favourite dried herb
- a pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice about half a lemon
- pinch of cayenne
- 1 clove of garlic grated or pressed through a garlic press
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger grated
- 2 teaspoons tamari or soy sauce
- 1-2 teaspoons liquid sweetener agave, maple syrup or honey
- salt and pepper to taste
To Finish Salad:
- 1/4-1/3 cup each coarsely chopped parsley and cilantro
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
Preheat oven to 400, while you prep the veggies.
Toss beets and carrots into a glass baking dish and using your hands, coat them with olive oil. Sprinkle with herbs de province (or any other herb you liksalt and pepper. Bake at 400.
After about 20 minutes,,,,,
Chopped and peel sweet potato and coat with a bit of olive oil. Add to the baking dish with the beets and carrots, stir all the veggies around to get some of the seasonings onto the potatoes. Bake until all vegetables are fork-tender, another 20-30 minutes.
To make the dressing, combine all dressing ingredients in a bowl large enough to hold the roasted vegetables once they come out of the oven and are cooled. Be sure to taste dressing for seasonings. Add more sweetener or salt as needed.
Once vegetables have mostly cooled, but a bit warm is okay, add them to the bowl with the dressing. Toss well to coat. Add parsley, cilantro and seeds and toss everything well.
Serve at room temperature or chilled. Will keep for a couple of days, refrigerated.