Freezer Black Bean Fajita Burritos
These burritos are great to have stashed in the freezer for quick grab and go lunches.
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time2 mins
Total Time32 mins
- 2 large bell peppers thinly sliced
- 2 small red onions thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 package fajita seasoning mix I used low sodium Ol El Paso, plus 1/4 cup of water
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste, depends if you use low sodium beans or not
- 1 19 oz can black beans rinsed and drained (about 2 cups cooked)
- juice of 1/2 of a lime
- shredded cheddar or mexican blend cheese about 2 cups
- 8-10 large tortilla shells
In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium heat and add peppers and onions. Cook until vegetables are soft, but not browned, about 7 minutes. Add fajita seasoning mix, chili powder and 1/4 cup of water and stirr well toc combine. Allow the mixture to cook down slightly and thicken, stir in salt, brown rice, black beans and lime juice. Simmer for a few more minutes. Mixture will thicken slightly, then remove from heat.
Heat tortilla wraps so they are easier to wrap without breaking. I do this by damping a paper towel and rolling a stack of wraps into a roll with the paper towel around them, then heat in the microwave for 45-60 seconds. Until they are warm to touch.
Lay a tortilla down on a cutting board or work surface. Down the middle of the tortilla, place about 1/4 cup of cheese and 1/2 -2/3 cup of the bean and vegetable mixture on top of the cheese. Fold the sides of the burrito in towards the center and then fold the bottom over the filling forming a pocket.
At this point, just roll the rest of the way up.
Wrap each burrito separately in wax or parchment paper for storing in the freezer. Place 3-4 burritos in a large freezer bag and label