Quick Pickled Red Onions
A must for summer BBQ burgers everywhere - quick red onions pickled with spices and a bit of heat.
Prep Time15 mins
Cooling time1 hr
Total Time15 mins
Servings: 1 500ml jar
- 2 large red onions thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 cups white vinegar
- 4 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 small dried red chili peppers
- 12 whole cloves
- 5-6 whole all spice berries
- 1/4 teaspoon of each of the following spices: whole cumin seeds black peppercorns, black mustard seeds, fennel seeds
In a medium stainless steel pot, add vinegar, sugar, salt and all the spices and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Add onions and bring back to a simmer, simmer for about 30 seconds. Using a pair of tongs, be sure to toss them in the vinegar so all the onions get doused. Don't worry if the onions seem a little raw a this point. They will soften as they sit in the hot vinegar. Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely.
That's it. Store in a glass jar with enough juice to cover for about 6 weeks, refrigerated. I promise they will not last that long.