Sweet Potato and Chickpea Curry
A simple curry dish packed with fresh veggies and chickpeas.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 small white onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger root
- 1/2 - 1 fresh mild chili pepper thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- a pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoon garam masala or your favourite curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 398ml cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 540ml can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 small bunch swiss chard leaves ribs removed and chopped, leaves thinly sliced ( about 2 cups leaves and stems chopped)
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- salt to taste
- fresh cilantro for garnish
- lemon wedges
In a large nonstick skillet, heat coconut oil over medium heat. Add the black mustard seeds and toss in the hot oil for a minute or so, they will start to pop and become fragrant. Add the onion, garlic, ginger and sliced chili if using and cook until onions are soft, about 3-5 minutes.
Sprinkle spices (coriander, cayenne, garam masala and sea salt) over top, stir and continue to cook for one more minute. Add sweet pototoes and chard and toss for 2 minutes or until the chard begins to soften. Add the tomatoes and chickpea, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, 15-20 minutes.
To serve, garnish with more fresh chopped cilantro, a wedge or lemon and fresh cooked rice or naan bread.