This vegan zucchini carrot bread is a perfect make-ahead loaf for packing in the kid's lunches. It's packed full of veggies and vegan. Freezes well too. Made with whole grain flour.
At the side of the house I remember that my mom grew these ginormous zucchini every summer. She said they liked it there because the plants got lots of shade.We always had a plethora of zucchini. And they were big. Huge even.
So that they wouldn't go to waste my mom made zucchini bread. And when she couldn't make enough zucchini bread to use them up, she had me grate the zucchini for freezing. A freezer full of grated zucchini meant she could make zucchini bread all year round. Not to worry... we had a food processor. Still, I buzzed a lot of zucchini. And I ate a lot of zucchini bread. School lunches came with zucchini bread. That's just the way it was.
Zucchini Bread for School Lunches
I guess I was feeling a little nostalgic this weekend when I decided to make this vegan zucchini bread for my kid's school lunches. Don't worry I didn't make the kids grate the zucchini but all the practice with a food processor came in handy. I decided to add some carrots too. Just to change things up. Because I can't leave well enough alone. Ane because I thought the carrots would add some sweetness. Feel free to go all zucchini or all carrot for that matter. You could also add some pecans or walnuts for a little bit of texture.
This recipe makes 2 loaves. I wrapped one loaf up and froze the pieces for lunches later during the month. I don't expect it will last long, we ate one loaf in about a day and a half. Since the point was to have the bread for lunch snacks, I wanted to make sure I stashed some away for a rainy day.... or just next week.
This recipe comes from The Vegenista blog. I followed it exactly other than I added some carrots for part of the amount of zucchini call for.
Vegan Zucchini Carrot Bread
- 6 tbsp ground flax seeds
- ½ cup warm water
- ½ cup oil
- ½ cup applesauce
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1.5 cups grated zucchini
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 2 cups all-purpose whole wheat flour
- 1 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- Grease two loaf pans and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- It's easiest to grate the zucchini and carrot using a food processor, but a hand held box grater will work just as well. Just takes more elbow grease. Be sure to pack your measuring cups when you measure the grated vegetables.
- In large bowl, whisk together ground flax seeds and water. Allow to sit for a few moments while you assemble the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flours, salt, baking soda, baking powder cinnamon and nutmeg. (Confession, I never measure the nutmeg, I grate mine fresh from the pods. So I stop when it looks like enough).
- To the flax seed mixture, add oil, applesauce, sugar, and vanilla. Whisk well. Add zucchini; stir until combined.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and stir until just combined.
- Divide batter between prepared pans. Bake 40-45 minutes, or until a knife inserted in center of loaf comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack before slicing.