A sweet summer snack cake – Blueberry Banana Snack Cake. This healthy little snack screams summer.
It’s started. The mess we call summer has started. That constant state of disarray that comes with warm weather, days by the pool, the steady stream of neighbourhood kids and sunscreen. My kitchen is upside down, there are beach towels everywhere and my kids have managed to find and bring outside toys they haven’t played with in 8 months. Its bliss. I feel like I am in a constant state of cottage vacation (when I have no vacation and no cottage). It’s sweet.
Food changes this time of the year too. Meals are more casual. Less structured. Impromptu.
Dinner last night – crispy zucchini “fries” and tahini-spiked cabbage salad. An unusual combination. But somehow perfect. We ate the zucchini without plates and the salad out of cereal bowls as we hovered around the outdoor coffee table. Apparently we get so casual we don’t sit at a table or use proper utensils this time of year. It’s also not essential to dry off before meals like this. Grab a bite or two, jump in the pool, come back for more. It’s all good.
Dessert was this: A sweet blueberry banana snack cake. Made simply because I had a couple of very over-ripe bananas. Bananas too ripe to even freeze and save for smoothies. I came across this recipe from Oh She Glows for a chocolate chip banana snack cake. And while I’m very certain that chocolate chips and walnuts are amazing in this cake, I had fresh blueberries on hand and could not pass up the opportunity to use them. I made the right decision. Blueberries took this snack cake from anytime to summertime. A testament to how good this was.. it’s all gone. It didn’t last the evening.
Here is how I made it.
Blueberry banana snack cake
- 2 cups regular oats processed into a flour
- 1/2 cup regular oats not processed
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar packed firmly (brown will do)
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp coconut oil melted (or other light tasting oil)
- 2 medium very ripe bananas peeled and mashed
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk I used almond
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 and prepare a 8″ baking pan by lining with parchment or covering with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl mix together dry ingredients – oats, sugars, baking powder, spices and salt. Stir with a whisk.
- In a smaller bowl mix together coconut oil, bananas, apple sauce, milk and vanilla. Add liquids to dry ingredients and gently fold together to just combine. Add blueberries and almonds just as the mixture starts to come together and stir just enough to evenly distribute.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake at 350 about 35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean and edges are lightly browned.
- Allow to cool and cut into squares.
Hi, I’m Trish. I share quick and healthy recipes designed to get you through your busy days, balanced with a generous serving of sweet and decadent treats for weekends and special occasions. You will find vegan, gluten-free and plant-based recipes here too. Thanks for visiting!