A very special banana bread – lime, coconut and a little bit of rum will make this Coconut Banana Bread your new favourite.
This is not just another banana bread recipe. This banana bread might be my all-time favourite.
I made banana bread all the time. Probably because I buy bananas habitually. Every week. Sometimes we just can’t get through them all before they are too brown to eat. We like our eating bananas just yellow. No green, and no brown spots. So they are perfect for about a day and a half. Once those little brown spots appear, they get designated bread bananas.
So, needless to say, I’m generally looking for new things to do with bananas. And I am very happy I found this bread…
There is more flavour here than just bananas, and it is full of coconut. The coconut adds so much texture, and of course coconut flavour… and this makes everyone happy.
Add to the coconut a healthy amount of rum and lime and this bread will remind you of somewhere warm, and in the middle of winter, this might be all you need to feel warm again.
Don’t skip the coconut on top, it makes for the pretty-ist topped banana bread. Look at that! It’s so pretty.
How to make Coconut Banana Bread
- Like most banana bread recipes, this one bakes at 350 and you will need a 9×5 loaf pan. I like to line my pans, even loaf pans with parchment paper.
- To get yourself organized, it is best to measure out the flour, baking soda and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Then in your stand mixer (or by hand or with a handheld mixer) cream together soften (not melted, but room temperature) butter and sugar. Once nice and creamy, add the eggs in, one at time.
- Add the bananas, yoghurt, rum and vanilla. Blend.
- Finally, add in the flour mixture. Just mix a few times, until just combined. A few floury bits at this point is fine. Fold in 1/2 cup of coconut.
- Pour into your prepared loaf pan, and sprinkle with the remaining coconut. Bake for about an hour.
- To finish this bread off, make the glaze. Freshly squeezed lime juice and powdered sugar. Drizzle over the cooled bread.
Coconut Banana Bread with Lime Glaze
- 2 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups mashed bananas about 3 bananas
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 3 Tbsp dark rum or spiced rum
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup flaked sweetened coconut
- 1 Tbsp flaked sweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1-1/2 Tbsp fresh squeezed lime juice
- Preheat oven to 350. Prepare 9×5 loaf pan with parchment paper or non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl – flour, baking soda, salt. Whisk to combine.
- In a large bowl, or the bowl of a standmixer, beat together butter and sugar until well blended and creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each egg. Add bananas, yogurt, vanilla and rum. Beat until blended. Add flour mixture and gently stir on low speed until just combined. It's okay to leave some floury bits here. Add 1/2 cup of coconut and gently stir in.
- Transfer batter to prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle top of loaf with 1 tablespoon of the flaked coconut. Bake at 350 for about 1 hour, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow bread to cool completely. Combine powdered sugar and lime juice to make a glaze. Drizzle over cooled loaf. Slice into 12 pieces.