A simple and quick chickpea soup with sweet potatoes and Italian herbs. This soup is healthy, plant-based and ready in about 30 minutes. You family will love it.
I found this in last month's Vegetarian Times. I love love this mag. Thank's Megs for the subscription.....
Ingredients needed for chickpea soup with sweet potatoes
- 4 cups low sodium veg broth (you can also use a vegetable bouillon cube or powder to make 4 cups of liquid.
- 1 medium onion or leek.
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- Dried herbs: bay leaf, dried thyme, dried oregano and a hearty pinch of cayenne pepper.
- 4 cups of cooked chickpeas, see this post for how to cook chickpeas in your slowcooker. Or you will need about 2, 19oz cans, rinsed and drained
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into cubes
- 1 stalk of celery, finely diced (½ cup)
- Dijon mustard - this adds a wonderful tang and flavour. Don't skipp it.
- Lots of fresh parsley - this brightens the final dish.
Step by Step directions for making simple chickpea soup with sweet potatoes
Start by saute-ing the leeks (or onion), celery and garlic in a bit of olive oil, added dried herbs and spices and saute for a few more minutes, then added chickpeas, sweet potatoes, mustard, stock and 3 cups of water.
Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer until vegetables are very soft. This will take 15-20 minutes depending on the how big you cut the sweet potatoes.
Mash some of the veggies - using a potato masher, mash the veggies. The chickpeas will remain mostly whole. But it's okay if you mash some of them too. This adds texture and thickens ths soup.
Serve - season with salt and pepper to taste and stir in lots of fresh parsley.
Italian Chickpea Soup
- 4 cups low sodium veg broth
- 1 medium onion I used one leek - while parts, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cups about 2 15-oz cans of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 large sweet potatoes peeled and chopped into cubes
- 1 stalk of celery finely diced (½ cup)
- 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh parsley which we just happen to have rescued from the frost and keep in a pot in our kitchen
- Saute leeks, celery and garlic in a bit of olive oil, added herbs and spices and saute for a few more minutes, then added chickpeas, sweet potatoes, mustard, stock and 3 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer until vegetables are very soft.
- Using a potato masher, puree the soup (at least the vegetables). The chickpeas will remain mostly whole.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and fresh parsley.