I found this in last month’s Vegetarian Times. I love love this this mag. Thank’s Megs for the subscription…..
Italian Chickpea Soup
- 4 cups low sodium veg broth
- 1 medium onion ( I used one leek – while parts), chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 (19 oz) cans of chickpeas, rinsed and drained (about 4 cups)
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into cubes
- 1 stalk of celery, finely diced (1/2 cup)
- 1 Tbsp of Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley (which we just happen to have rescued from the frost and keep in a pot in our kitchen)
Saute leeks, celery and garlic in a bit of olive oil, added herbs and spices and saute for a few more minutes, then added chickpeas, sweet potatoes, mustard, stock and 3 cups of water.
Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer until vegetables are very soft.
Using a potato masher, puree the soup (at least the vegetables). The chickpeas will remain mostly whole.
Season with salt and pepper to taste and fresh parsley.
Thank’s for visiting. I’m Trish. I share healthy family recipes to inspire your family to eat their veggies and save room for cake!