Here is a healthy little muffin to go with your weekend coffee. These quinoa muffins are vegan, nearly fat-free and packed with protein from chia seeds and quinoa. Next time you are cooking quinoa for dinner make some extra.
I used Ener-G egg replacers in this recipe. This is a product that helps bind the way eggs do in bake goods. It’s dairy, soy and gluten-free. Basically just starch that you mix with water. If you don’t have Ener-G egg replacers other vegan egg substitutes would work too — try mashed banana or ground flax mixed with water. See this post for a list of vegan egg substitutes and quantities. Of course, you could just use one large egg if you wanted.
Don’t let these pretty quinoa muffins fool you.. they are packed with nutrients, fiber and protein. Great for breakfast and easy to grab on the way out the door.
Blueberry Quinoa Muffins with Chia seeds
- 1.5 cups cooked quinoa about 1/2 cup dry quinoa and cooked according to package directions
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 Ener-G egg 1-1/2 teaspoons Ener-G powder + 2 Tablespoons water
- 1 cup non-diary milk like almond or rice, use rice milk for nut-safe muffins
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare muffin tin (I used parchment paper liners, no need to oil the tin if using liners).
- In a large bowl combine cooked quinoa with dry ingredients (flour through chia seeds)
- In a small bowl, prepare Ener-G egg by mixing the dry Ener-G powder with 2 tablespoons water under very smooth. To this, add non-diary milk and vanilla. Mix to combine.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Add blueberries and carefully fold these in.
- Evenly divide batter into 12 muffin cups. Bake 22-25 minutes or until tester comes out clean.
Thank’s for visiting. I’m Trish. I share healthy family recipes to inspire your family to eat their veggies and save room for cake!