These skinny blueberry muffins are packed full of goodness + vegan too! Quinoa and Chia add fiber and healthy plant-based protein.
Here is a healthy little muffin to go with your weekend coffee. These quinoa muffins are vegan, nearly fat-free and packed with protein from chia seeds and quinoa. Next time you are cooking quinoa for dinner make some extra.
Don't let these pretty quinoa muffins fool you.. they are packed with nutrients, fiber and protein. Great for breakfast and easy to grab on the way out the door.
Vegan Egg Replacements for Baking
I used Ener-G egg replacers in this recipe. This is a product that helps bind the way eggs do in baked goods. It's dairy, soy and gluten-free. Basically just starch that you mix with water.
If you don't have Ener-G egg replacers other vegan egg substitutes would work too. try mashed banana or ground flax mixed with water. See this post for a list of vegan egg substitutes and quantities. Of course, you could just use one large egg if you wanted.
Flax eggs are typically my go-to. In this recipe, I used the Ener-G for their neutral flavour. Bananas would add a distinct flavour I didn't want.
Ground flaxseed would work the same
1 T Ground Flaxseed + 3 T Warm Water = 1 large egg
If you go this route, let the ground flax and water mixture sit for a few minutes while you get the rest of the ingredients together. After a few minutes, you should see the mixture thicken and become gel-like.
Skinny Blueberry Muffins with Quinoa + Chia Seeds
- 1-½ cups cooked quinoa about ½ cup dry quinoa and cooked according to package directions
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1-½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 Ener-G egg 1-½ teaspoons Ener-G powder + 2 Tablespoons water
- 1 cup non-diary milk like almond or rice, use rice milk for nut-safe muffins
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare muffin tin (I used parchment paper liners, no need to oil the tin if using liners).
- In a large bowl combine cooked quinoa with dry ingredients (flour through chia seeds)
- In a small bowl, prepare Ener-G egg by mixing the dry Ener-G powder with 2 tablespoons water under very smooth. To this, add non-diary milk and vanilla. Mix to combine.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Add blueberries and carefully fold these in.
- Evenly divide batter into 12 muffin cups. Bake 22-25 minutes or until tester comes out clean.
If I'm not worried about it being vegan can I just use a regular egg?
Trish @infinebalance says
Of course! That will work just fine. One will do it.
I am not fan of almond milk but like rice milk. Can I use rice milk? Or if needs be skim milk
Trish @infinebalance says
Of course. I say either kind of milk will work
Deep Cleaning Richmond says
Interesting recipe! I can't wait to try it. Thank you for sharing.