A salad or a side dish, this is a colourful way to eat your veggies. Roasted beet, sweet potatoes and carrots in a sweet tahini dressing. Vegan and Gluten-free.
Beets. I always go for the beets.
Colourful vegetables always tempt me at the market. Oh, yes, you are right… they are healthy and I shouldn’t feel badly about buying them.
I just feel badly a week or so later when they are still in my fridge and I still have no idea what to do with them.
So here is a solution for you (and me 😊) - roasting.
All root vegetables are good roasted. I can't think of a one that is not better after a good long sit in a hot oven. Roasting does magic things to a root. I mean.... Look at this colour!
This roasted beet salad makes a pretty lunch salad or dinner side-dish. I'm not sure what to call it. All i know is it is good. And you will love it. And you will thank me when you have used all the beets that came with the CSA delivery this week.
For this salad, I have used all sweet veggies, which get even sweeter once they are roasted. So they stand up really well to a tangy and acidic dressing. This tahini dressing is slightly sweetened and heavy on the lemon. A great contrast to the sweet roasted veggies.
A few notes about this Roasted Beet Salad
- Beets tend to take a longer to cook and soften than the sweet potatoes, so I get the carrots and beets in the oven first. Wait 15-20 minutes, then add the sweet potatoes
- There are no hard and fast rules about ratios here, use what you have on hand. Use all beets if you want. Skip the Sweet potatoes. It really does not matter.
- This dressing. This... dressing... is just so good. You will want it on everything. And really. It goes with everything. Make extra
- Also -- this salad works well as part of a buddha bowl. Cook your favourite grain. Add some greens. Then drizzle the dressing over ALL OF IT. Yummy
Roasted Beet Salad
- 4-5 beets stem-ends removed, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 large fat carrots peeled,cut into 2 inch chunks
- 1 sweet potato peeled, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1-2 teaspoons olive oil to coat
- 1 teaspoon herbs de province or your favourite dried herb
- a pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice about half a lemon
- pinch of cayenne
- 1 clove of garlic grated or pressed through a garlic press
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger grated
- 2 teaspoons tamari or soy sauce
- 1-2 teaspoons liquid sweetener agave, maple syrup or honey
- salt and pepper to taste
To Finish Salad:
- ¼-1/3 cup each coarsely chopped parsley and cilantro
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 400, while you prep the veggies.
- Toss beets and carrots into a glass baking dish and using your hands, coat them with olive oil. Sprinkle with herbs de province (or any other herb you liksalt and pepper. Bake at 400.
- After about 20 minutes,,,,,
- Chopped and peel sweet potato and coat with a bit of olive oil. Add to the baking dish with the beets and carrots, stir all the veggies around to get some of the seasonings onto the potatoes. Bake until all vegetables are fork-tender, another 20-30 minutes.
- To make the dressing, combine all dressing ingredients in a bowl large enough to hold the roasted vegetables once they come out of the oven and are cooled. Be sure to taste dressing for seasonings. Add more sweetener or salt as needed.
- Once vegetables have mostly cooled, but a bit warm is okay, add them to the bowl with the dressing. Toss well to coat. Add parsley, cilantro and seeds and toss everything well.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled. Will keep for a couple of days, refrigerated.