Today I’m giving you a bonus recipe. I’ve included this on the blog before, but this method will change your life, so it deserves repeating.
On the weekend I made a big batch of chickpeas in the slow cooker. This is a super simple method for cooking chickpeas, if you have a slow cooker give it a try. It takes all of 2 minutes to prep and then maybe another 2-3 to clean up afterwards. I’m sure you can find 5 minutes to stock your freezer with 6 cups of cooked chickpeas? No cans. No nasty chemicals.
- 1 pound of chickpeas (2-3 cups)
- 6-8 cups of water (so that your slow-cooker is about 50-75% full, measure at least 2.5 cups of water per cup of dried chickpeas)
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 2 bay leaves
Pour everything into to your slow-cooker and cook on high for 3 hours. I set my slowcooker for 3 hours and then my cooker will switch itself to “keep warm” and I just let it sit until I’m ready to deal with it.
Drain and freeze in 1-2 cup freezer bags.
I made these roasted chickpea tacos on Sunday night along with that yummy green pea and avocado guacamole. Basically you take chickpeas, toss them with some Mexican spices and bake them in the oven until they get a little bit crispy. Toss the cooked or canned chickpeas with the marinade and let them soak while the oven heats up. Spread them on a cookie sheet and bake. Easy-peasy. While they bake you have time to chop some tomatoes and lettuce, make guac, or check your facebook. If you remember you could give them a stir once or twice while they are baking. You want them to be just a bit crispy. Not totally dried out.
The texture is surprising in tacos.
We kept it all vegan this time and served with chopped tomatoes, cilantro and slathered on the guac.
Save any leftovers! The chickpeas are great on top of your lunch salad the next day.
Roasted Chickpea Tacos
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- a pinch of cayenne optional
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Juice of one lime
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, combine spices, lime juice and water. Add chickpeas and mix well to cover all the chickpeas. Let them soak up the juices of the marinade for about 10 minutes while the oven heats up.
- Lightly oil a baking sheet, or spray with cooking spray. Spread the chickpeas on the tray and bake 20-30 minutes or until slightly crispy. Stir if you remember.
- Serve with all the fixings.
Thank’s for visiting. I’m Trish. I share healthy family recipes to inspire your family to eat their veggies and save room for cake!