It's Tuesday! Chickpea Tacos are a healthy and affordable weeknight meal. Easy and quick to throw together on a busy night. Perfect for meal prep too. These spicy chickpeas will work with all your favorite taco toppings. Vegan recipe.
On the weekend I made a big batch of chickpeas in the slow cooker, see this post for this life-changing method. And you must try it! Honestly, my meal prep routine would not be complete without it.
These chickpea tacos are easy to through together.
Toss some chickpeas with taco seasonings and some lime juice and roast in a hot oven while you make a sauce our two. The chickpeas will get a little bit crispy. They are spicy and tangy. And the texture is surprising in a taco.
Don't let them dry out though.. don't cook them too long.
I served with a quick and easy jalapeno slaw, our favourite vegan queso and diced avocado and cilantro. But you can serve with anything you like. This green pea and avocado guacamole is perfect too.
Save any leftovers! The chickpeas are great on top of your lunch salad the next day.
🍴Serving and meal prep
Have all your favourite topping on hand for serving
- Avocado slices
- Cilantro (my favorite thing)
- Diced tomatoes
- shredded lettuse
- Pickled jalapenos
- Shredded cheese (vegan options)
- Sour cream (vegan options)
- Sliced green onions
- Pickled onions
- Vegan queso dip
- Lite guacamole
The chickpeas can easily be prepped ahead of time. I like to make these on the weekend and then reheat quickly before serving. If you have some queso, salsa and lettuce on hand you are are good to go.
The slaw is best if made just before serving. It continues to will over time and will only get soggy if you prep to far in advance.
Roasted chickpeas will keep for about 5 days in the refrigerator. They do lose some of the crunch after a time.
Roasted Chickpea Tacos
For the chickpeas
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons water
- Juice of one lime
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- a pinch of cayenne optional
For the slaw
- lemon juice juice from half a lemon
- 1 tablespoon vegan mayo
- 1 teaspoon honey or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon salt or to taste
- 2 cups cabbage shredded
- 1 jalapeno finely sliced or diced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 8 whole wheat soft taco shells
- 1 avocado sliced
- cilantro, green onions, diced tomato
- vegan queso
- lite green pea & avocado guacomole
Make the chickpeas
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, combine spices, lime juice and water. Add chickpeas and mix well to cover all the chickpeas. Let them soak up the juices of the marinade for about 10 minutes while the oven heats up.
- Lightly oil a baking sheet, or spray with cooking spray. Spread the chickpeas on the tray and bake 20-30 minutes or until slightly crispy. Stir if you remember.
- Serve with all the fixings.
Make the slaw
- While the chickpeas roast, in a medium bowl toss lemon juice, vegan mayo and maple syrup and salt. Whish to combine into a smooth dressing. Toss in shresdded cabbage, jalapeno and cilantro. Set aside until ready to serve.
Assemble the tacos
- Warm soft tortilla shells in microwave or in a hot skillet over medium heat. Fill with a scoop of chickpeas,slaw, avocado or other toppings of your choice. Serve.
"Stir if you remember." Love it!
Trish @infinebalance says
My favourite kind of recipe 🙂
Oh m gosh, I just made these tacos (added carmelized onions along with the guac) and served them with your Quinoa and Avocado Salad Collard wraps, and the serving dishes are EMPTY!! These tacos rock! My son ate 4 of those wraps! Raw collard greens....he couldn'g get enough. Thank you for sharing with us. Your recipes have really enriched my life, and your blog has my son and I on a secret jog/walk program. When we build up to a full 30 mins of jogging, we're going to announce our accomplishment to my husband. You've given me a boost!
Trish @infinebalance says
Wow... I have never had such a amazing response. Thank-you for sharing your story. I think it's so awesome that you have gotten your son involved in making healthy choices and getting active. This is a huge accomplishment. Many people are afraid to just start. You have done something so important for your son.
Aren't those taco's great!? Carmelized onions would be so good. I will have to add that next time.
Sandra @ The Adored Home says
Joining you from the Meatless Monday Blog Hop! What a yummy recipe! I will be trying this for sure! I am now following you on all social media. Hope you will stop by and do the same!
The Adored Home