Soup is becoming a tradition for us on New Year’s Day. Always. It is a natural conduit between one year and the next – comforting and familiar. This Lemony Split Pea and Kale Soup is simple and reassuring.
Perfect as we reflect back on 2015 and prepare and welcome a New Year.
2015 was not an easy year for this family. And there have been many years that I could easily look back at and describe them as easy. 2015 is not one of them. Still I think of how blessed we are that the “hard” things were only as hard as they were. Our “hardships” don’t even come close to what others have experienced. I’m so incredibly thankful for that. Sure there were some difficult things we dealt with. Some I would call “life-changing” — but we grew and learned and loved. We lost a few friends and cried some tears. As a family we are better and stronger for all of it. I can only hope that 2016 is as full.
and there were certainly good things. So many good things. Seriously good and happy things. A sleeping puppy is a good thing. ???? ????
Ands so here we are, beginning a new year with soup. I am fully admitting here that soup is a convenient way to clean out the fridge after all the holiday fare and use up some odds and ends, and creating something on the healthier side in the process. There is nothing fancy about this soup – its basic. Lemon highlights the vegetables and brings flavours together. Don’t skimp on the lemon.
A few notes about this Split Pea and Kale Soup:
- Any colour of split peas will work.
- Leftovers make great portable lunches, although the kale will lose some of its brightness
- Use whatever tomatoes you have on hand. In the middle of winter, you could skip the tomato, but I think it helps highlight the lemon flavour. Use grape or cherry tomatoes if there is nothing else.
- I have a thing for chilis in my soup and if I am lucky enough to have a fresh jalapeno in the fridge I will throw it in with the onions to spice up the broth. You can leave it out if you don’t like spicy things. 😉
And so… Happy New Year!
Lemony Split Pea and Kale Soup
A simple and hearty soup... lemon, kale and all the veggies..
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small onions 1 medium thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno diced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning no salt variety
- 1 clove of garlic mined
- 2 fat carrots diced
- 2 small waxy potatoes small diced (leave peel on)
- 900 ml veg stock
- 900 ml water
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1-1/2 cups yellow split peas
- 1 fresh tomato cored and chopped
- 2 cups tightly packed kale
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup parsley chopped fine
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- salt & pepper
- Heat oil in dutch oven or large pot, over medium heat. Add onion and jalapeno and cook, stirring frequently, until soft 7-8 minutes. Add garlic, carrots and Italian seasonings, and salute for about 5 minutes, until garlic is fragrant.
- Add stock, water, potatoes, split peas, tomato and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and simmer until peas are tender, about 45 minutes (up to 1 hour) start checking for soft peas after about 45 minutes.
- Add kale, parsley, juice of lemon and fresh garlic, cook uncovered just until kale is wilted and softened, but still bright green, about 2-3 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve
Thank’s for visiting. I’m Trish. I share healthy family recipes to inspire your family to eat their veggies and save room for cake!