You guys, this is like the best healthy soup ever. Its fun to eat, because… toppings!, and sweet with a little bit of a kick (very little, just enough) and full of beautiful, colourful veggies. I’m just so please about this. And then you can top your bowl like a taco or a heaping plate of nachos! Seriously, best soup ever. The recipe comes from FEAST, a lovely – and mostly vegetarian – cookbook by Sarah Copeland.
I appreciate the actual simpleness of this soup.
If Mexican food night is a thing in your house – most definitely a thing in ours – you could easily add this to your Mexican night recipe rotation. Give yourself about 40 minutes start to finish. Cut the sweet potatoes in a small dice so they cook faster in the broth and throw them in while you are bringing the stock and tomatoes to a boil. I used a combination of store bought stock and water to make up the 6 cups of required liquid (hint: use a full 900ml or 32 oz box of veggie stock then add 2 cups of water. Bonus no half used box of stock sent to the land of forgotten fridge things.)
As pretty as the baked tortilla strips are, and yes, they can be baked while the soup simmers, but yes, I know you probably have other things to do… So just grab a bag of tortilla chips and serve those with the soup. Along with ALL THE toppings.
So if you are up for it, you can bake your own tortilla strips.
For the baked tortilla strips I cut 4, 4 inch tortilla shells into thing strips and place them on a cookie sheet. I use a tablespoon of avocado oil and tossed the strips so they were all well coated and spread out evenly on the pan. Then I placed them under the broiler for a few minutes. Watch them carefully, and toss every minute or so. Remove from the broiler when they are nicely browned and crispy. Sprinkle with salt.
You can easily keep this vegan if you’d like. Either skipping the cheese products altogether or by using your favourite vegan substitutes. That choice is yours.
I like to smash some of the sweet potatoes a little to add a bit of texture to the soup and spread the love a bit.
Sweet Potato and Kale Tortilla Soup
- 2 Tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 jalapeno diced
- 1 teaspoon each chili powder and cumin
- 2 medium sized sweet potatoes diced - about 3 cups
- 900 ml of vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 398 ml can of diced tomatoes
- a generous pinch of salt
- a bunch of kale stems removed and torn into bit sized pieces, about 4 cups
- radishes thinly sliced
- cilantro leaves coarsely chopped
- green onions thinly sliced
- tortilla chips or baked tortilla strips
- cheese your choice
- sour cream or thick yogurt your choice
- lime wedges
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and saute until soft and fragrant, 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and jalepeno and saute for another couple of minutes. Add chili powder and cumin, saute for an additional minute then add sweet poatoes, stock, canned tomatoes and salt.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover and simmer until potatoes are soft, 25-30 minutes.
- Once potatoes are soft, stir in kale and cook for a few minutes until wilted. Smash a few potatoes while you wait with the back of your spoon.
- Serve hot with toppings as desired.
Thank’s for visiting. I’m Trish. I share healthy family recipes to inspire your family to eat their veggies and save room for cake!