This fresh strawberry salsa is a bright surprise during summer months! Unexpected. Not too sweet. Easy to wipe together when Company is coming.
And when the strawberries are ready you make salsa. No? Not you? You should try it. It’s pretty awesome.
You could serve this salsa at a party and play a game – the “The Guess What’s in the Salsa” game. I promise, your guests will marvel at the color and wonder what it is you put in there.
I can only describe this as fresh. Surprisingly not sweet. And surprisingly addictive. Of course, you could add more sweetener if you wanted a sweeter salsa. You could also add more jalapeño if you wanted to go that way.
Peronsally I like this salsa on the not too sweet side. White balsamic adds a nice level of tang. The bit of honey here is just enough to highlight the strawberry flavour without making this too sweet. Add too much and you may end up with a strawberry jam gone wrong.
Fresh Strawbery Salsa
- 3.5 cups fresh strawberries washed and hulled
- 1/4 cup sweet onion such a Vidalia, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup green pepper roughly chopped
- 1 small jalapeño finely chopped
- 2 tbsps white balsamic vinegar
- juice of one orange
- 1/4 cup of fresh cilantro roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp heaping tablespoon of honey
- salt to taste with just a twist of fresh pepper
- In the large bowl of your food processor fitted with the s-blade, add onion, green pepper, jalapeño and cilantro. Secure lid on processor and pulse 2-3 times. Add strawberries and pulse 2-3 times. Add vinegar, orange juice and honey, salt and pepper. Pulse to mix. check for seasoning, add a pinch or two of salt if necessary.Salsa benefits from an hour or two sit in the fridge.
I’ve been adding this to my lunch salads all week in place of dressing.