Okay, I don’t know about you, but sometimes I need a meal that I can make with my eyes-closed. Literally. You could make this at 5am if you really needed. As in, in housecoat..with bedhead..before coffee.
Or you could even ask the kid’s sitter to throw it all together midway through the day while you are at work.
Heck, you could even make this the night before (just keep it in the fridge in the insert of your slow-cooker. In the morning, plop it into your machine, program and go).
Either way, you come home the house smells good and dinner is ready. Kids are happy too because they like to assemble their own food.
In the insert of your slow-cooker, add the following and mix well:
- 14oz can diced tomatoes, removing ½ cup of liquid (discard the liquid)
- 4oz small can of diced green chillies, or to your taste (use less if you find them too spicy)
- 2 - 15oz cans of beans, we like pinto beans and red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn
- 3 tablespoons your favourite Mexican spice mix or burrito seasoning (I use Old El Paso, reduced sodium mix)
Cover and cook on high 3-4 hours or low 6-8 hours.
To finish the meal you will need:
- whole wheat flour tortillas, or whatever is your fave wrapper
- toppings – lettuce, diced tomatoes, salsa. cheese, sour cream, avocado, green peppers, green onions, the possibilities are endless.
The nice thing about this meal. I can go vegan and the rest of the family gets their dairy if they want it. (PS… with avocado around, often times they don’t).
Martha Evans Osborne says
Thanks for reminding me how easy this is. And hubby LOVES to use the slow cooker!
Sometimes easy, is the best way to make dinner. 😉
I love to use my slow cooker because it smells yummy when you come home. Maybe I will make these this weekend when we go on our long hike and come back to a delightful smelling house and yummy tacos!
This dish would be prefect for a day like that!
An Unrefined Vegan says
Lately I am so not interested in elaborate meals! Is it because summer approaches? Slow cooker...burritos...works for me.
I'm feeling the same... and summer is just starting! I want easy. I think summer brings out the lazy in me. 🙂
Perfect 🙂 I love that you make it up to the family to choose - I do the same and you are right, quite often they choose to have the vegan version too.
It is so true that kids will follow thier parents lead. When I reach for the avocado instead of cheese, I see my 5 year old switch directions and grab some avocado too.
I love using my slow cooker in the summer when I don't want to heat up the house with the stove or oven! What a great idea. 🙂
Definitely... I can't make it through a week without it!