Okay, I don’t know about you, but sometimes I need a meal that I can make with my eyes-closed. Literally. You could make this at 5am if you really needed. As in, in housecoat..with bedhead..before coffee.
Or you could even ask the kid’s sitter to throw it all together midway through the day while you are at work.
Heck, you could even make this the night before (just keep it in the fridge in the insert of your slow-cooker. In the morning, plop it into your machine, program and go).
Either way, you come home the house smells good and dinner is ready. Kids are happy too because they like to assemble their own food.
In the insert of your slow-cooker, add the following and mix well:
- 14oz can diced tomatoes, removing 1/2 cup of liquid (discard the liquid)
- 4oz small can of diced green chillies, or to your taste (use less if you find them too spicy)
- 2 - 15oz cans of beans, we like pinto beans and red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn
- 3 tablespoons your favourite Mexican spice mix or burrito seasoning (I use Old El Paso, reduced sodium mix)
Cover and cook on high 3-4 hours or low 6-8 hours.
To finish the meal you will need:
- whole wheat flour tortillas, or whatever is your fave wrapper
- toppings – lettuce, diced tomatoes, salsa. cheese, sour cream, avocado, green peppers, green onions, the possibilities are endless.
The nice thing about this meal. I can go vegan and the rest of the family gets their dairy if they want it. (PS… with avocado around, often times they don’t).