This was breakfast
Admittedly, I used a hot cereal mix. But it was Bob’s Red Mill and so I feel good about that. This is a pre-sweetened mix so I only added extra sugar on top when serving as it has plenty of flavour on it’s own.
Letting the cereal soak overnight in a portion of the liquid called for on the package, allows it to soften and shortens the cooking time in the morning. Which means you can totally do this during the week.
I’ve also been known to make enough for a couple of days at once, warming up leftovers as I need them.
This method will work with other, unsweetened, unflavoured whole-grain hot cereal mixes – there are several others I’ve found at the bulk food store. You would just need to add some sweetener and spice as you bring it to a boil in the morning. For this quantity, I would add 2 tablespoons of brown sugar or another sweetener, 2 teaspoons of cinnamon and a teaspoon of vanilla.
Basically, I let 1 cup of grains soak overnight in 2 cups of water. In the morning I grated 2 small apples into the cereal, added 1/3 cup of raisins, 1 cup of almond milk and brought the pot to a boil. Once it is boiling, it cooks in 8-10 minutes and you have a whole grain cereal on the table in the time it takes the kids to get dressed. At the table serve with brown sugar or maple syrup, hemp or sunflower seeds, cream (soy or otherwise) or yogurt and more fresh diced apples.
Just like that, a hot breakfast in a few minutes.
Apple Cinnamon Hot Breakfast Cereal
the night before
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill Apple Cinnamon Whole Grain Cereal
- 2 cups of water
in the morning
- 1 cup almond milk
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 2 small apples grated about 1-1/2 cups of grated apple
the night before:
- In a medium sized sauce pan, whisk together cereal and 2 cups water. Let sit on the counter overnight.
in the morning:
- Add milk, pinch of salt, grated apples and raisins. Bring to a boil and simmer until grains are fluffy and tender – about 8-10 mins
- Top each serving with brown sugar, hemp seeds and fresh diced apples. Soy cream or a dollop of yogurt is nice too.