BBQ Tofu Sliders - quick, no-fuss dinner. Tofu for dinner just got easier 😃
These tofu burgers are so easy! And so cute 😍. Topped with a creamy orange sesame coleslaw you will love these fresh little tofu sandwiches.
Tofu is prepared simply here using quick convenience products -your favorite bottled BBQ sauce and pre-shredded coleslaw mix. You can get this on the table in a little over 30 minutes.
Tofu sliders meal prep
You have to deal with the tofu first. Tofu needs to be pressed before frying for the best results. Ideally, press it for at least 30 minutes. If you are in a hurry, you can press it for longer -- like start it in the morning or the night before (just keep it in the refrigerator). Or cut the pressing short... just press it, even if you only have 5 minutes.
For me, while the tofu is pressing I make the coleslaw, empty the dishwasher and get all the other things out for dinner. 30 minutes gives me just enough time to get a few things done in the kitchen. By the time dinner is ready I'm mostly cleaned up.
The slaw is quick to make if you buy pre-shredded coleslaw mix. Make the slaw no more than 30 minutes before serving. The slaw will wilt as it sits. I think it is beset with a bit of crunch.
You could also use bottled coleslaw dressing. I like to make my own. It takes minutes. Use a vegan mayo to keep things vegan, or your favorite brand.
I like to use dinner rolls, not one of those super soft roll, something with a little density to it or even a crusty bun. A small roll or bun is the right size to make little sliders. The tofu squares fit perfectly. I've found mini ciabatta buns at some stores. Their square shape is especially cute with the square tofu pieces.
How to make BBQ Tofu Slides
To prep, the tofu, cut the block of tofu in half crosswise so that you have 2 stubby little blocks. Then cut each block into 4 - ½ inch slices. This should be done widthwise so you have 8 thin squares once you are done.
Lay the tofu pieces on a clean kitchen towel and cover with another towel. Lay a large cutting board over top, weigh it if necessary to add more heft. Then just left it to hang out while you get the other things ready.
Make the slaw. I used mayo, lightly sweetened with orange juice a bit of sugar and some toasted sesame oil. Add a hearty pinch of salt and some fresh black pepper. Whisk this together so it is smooth and creamy and then toss with prepared and pre-shredded coleslaw mix. To keep this recipe vegan be sure to choose a vegan mayo. I like Hellman's Vegan Mayo or Veganaise.
Use any BBQ sauce that you like (most BBQ sauce is vegan, check your labels). I used a sweet and smokey Chipotle sauce that paired well with the tangy slaw and a slice of dill pickle. Use whatever you have on hand.
Once the tofu has been pressed, give it a good sprinkle of salt then dredge each slice in flour. Add to the hot frying pan, brush with BBQ and fry for a couple of minutes per side. Brushing with more BBQ when you flip it.
Serve these tofu sliders with dill pickles and jalapenos for those that like things a little bit spicier.
I usually serve these with 1 or 2 slices of tofu on each bun. I find for me, I like just one slice. The boys in my life like two slices. You will get 8 slices out of a one-pound block of tofu.
BBQ Tofu Sliders
- 1 lb extra firm tofu
- sea salt
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup BBQ sauce your favorite vegan brand
- 1 teaspoon canola oil or any mild tasting oil
- 4 slider buns or crusty dinner rolls
Easy home-made Coleslaw
- ¼ cup vegan mayo such as Hellman's Vegan
- 2 Tablespoons fresh-squeezed orange juice
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seed oil
- 2 teaspoon white sugar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups prepared coleslaw salad mix about ½ a bag
- Cut the block of tofu in half crosswise, then each half into 4, ½ inch slices. So that you end up with 8 thin squares of tofu. Lay tofu on a clean kitchen towel or a couple of layers of paper towels. Cover tofu with another towel and weigh it down with a cutting board or something else heavy. Let sit for about 30 minutes. Make slaw in the meantime.
For the Sesame Coleslaw
- Combine mayo, orange juice, sesame oil, sugar, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Whisk until smooth and creamy. Add shredded slaw mix and toss well to coat with dressing. Set aside.
For the sliders:
- After the tofu has been pressed for about 30 minutes, remove from towels. Sprinkle both sides with salt. Add flour to a wide, shallow bowl. Dredge tofu slices in the flour, coating both sides.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add oil. Add tofu slices, the oil is hot enough when the tofu sizzles when its added to the pan. Do not overcrowd the pan, work in batches if necessary. Baste the top of the tofu with BBQ sauce. Cook 2-3 minutes. Tofu will be just lightly browning on the bottom side. Flip over, and baste tofu again with BBQ. Be generous. Cook for another 2-3 minutes. Remove from the pan.
- Serve BBQ tofu slices on small crusty dinner rolls, top each slider with a generous heap of coleslaw and a sliced dill pickle and jalapeno if you are feeling adventurous. Serve with extra BBQ if desired.