I believe in pineapple in carrot cake.
No really, I do.
There must also be pecans … but no raisins. Please just don’t. Please no raisins.
Maybe because my mom made it that way. Maybe my mom even made this very recipe.
It is a Canadian Living Recipe, after all and we all know how much mom loves Canadian Living recipes. 🙂
Also — Zoe, who has appointed herself the carrot cake expert (of all time, not just this family, but for all mankind) claims this is the best. So you know it is really very good. I also love that this recipe makes a 9×13 cake – great for crowds, bbqs, and potlucks.. all those summer things that need a good snack cake.
Zoe’s with me on the pineapple (and the raisins).
Here is how you make it…
The Best Carrot Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg fresh grated if possible
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cups canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups grated carrot about 3 large, fat carrots
- 398 ml can of crush pineapple drained (about 1 cup drained pineapple), dispose of juice or save for another use
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 8 oz 250g package cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup icing sugar
- Line a 9X13 in baking pan with parchment or spray with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 350.
- Prepare carrots and drain pineapple if you have not done so already.
- In a medium sized bowl mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- In the bowl of stand mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment, beat together white and brown sugar, eggs, vanilla and vegetable oil. Beat until smooth. You can do this by hand if you wish.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and mix gently until just combined, adding in carrots, pineapple and pecans at the very end. Pour batter into prepared cake pan and bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes. When the cake is done a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake will come out clean. Cool cake completely before icing. Cake can be cooled and then stored in the refrigerator overnight at this point and iced the next day.
For the icing:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or a large bowl and using an electric hand mixer) cream together softened cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add in vanilla. Then gradually add in icing sugar, until the icing is creamy and smooth. Spread on top of cake.
Thank’s for visiting. I’m Trish. I share healthy family recipes to inspire your family to eat their veggies and save room for cake!