Your new favourite summer broccoli salad with feta, red onions and cherry tomatoes.
I love how the red onions soften while they sit in the salad for a bit. The broccoli is best if it is very so slightly steamed. Bringing out the brightly green colour but still very crunchy. Make sure you also use an ice bath to stop it from cooking. Mushy broccoli would not be good.
You can skip the steaming step if you are short on time and just serving to the kids. I think this step makes the broccoli slightly sweeter and certainly prettier but is not 100% necessary for this fresh and easy salad.
- 1 bunch broccoli
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp red or white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 pint grape tomatoes cut in half
- 1/2 of a large red onion thinly sliced
- Steam broccoli over a large sauce pan of simmering water using a fitted steamer basket. Do in batches if necessary – don’t over crowd steamer basket. Steam broccoli for about 1 minute. Broccoli should be bright green and still crunchy. Drain and plunge into ice water for about 1 minute, then remove broccoli to a colander and allow to drain completely while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- In large bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper. Add broccoli, feta cheese, tomatoes and onion; toss to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 1 day.