We sat outside all day yesterday. Like actually, all day. It was awesome. I thought I was on vacation. At some point one of the kids said something to the effect that we hadn’t allowed them in the house since breakfast and it was now dinner. It may have been a complaint. Other than evidence of some sunburnt cheeks, it was all good. Look what my boy did…. a blog! This blogger mom is so proud. he’s learning, catching bugs, starting fires… sticking bugs on his sister…
Today I have a Broccoli and Feta salad. A summer salad. Something you can make now and serve later today or even tomorrow. And it will use up all the broccoli from the produce delivery.
I love how the red onions soften while they sit in the salad for a bit. The broccoli is best if it is very so slightly steamed. Bringing out the bright green colour but still very crunchy. Make sure you also use an ice bath to stop it from cooking. Mushy broccoli would not be good.
You can skip the steaming step if you are short on time and just serving to the kids. I think this step makes the broccoli slightly sweeter and certainly prettier, but is not 100% necessary for this fresh and easy salad.
This is one of those recipes you will find yourself making over and over. This is the salad of the summer – potlucks, parties, bbqs, lazy Saturdays. And it easily doubles to feed a crowd. Recipe from Canadian Living.
Broccoli and Feta Salad
- 1 bunch broccoli
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp red or white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 pint grape tomatoes cut in half
- 1/2 of a large red onion thinly sliced
- Steam broccoli over a large sauce pan of simmering water using a fitted steamer basket. Do in batches if necessary - don't over crowd steamer basket. Steam broccoli for about 1 minute. Broccoli should be bright green and still crunchy. Drain and plunge into ice water for about 1 minute, then remove broccoli to a colander and allow to drain completely while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- In large bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper. Add broccoli, feta cheese, tomatoes and onion; toss to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 1 day.
Thank’s for visiting. I’m Trish. I share healthy family recipes to inspire your family to eat their veggies and save room for cake!