When pomegranates are fresh and readily available, sprinkle some on top to finish the salad. I would use 1/2 – to 1 cup. They add a nice pop of colour which is really festive for the holidays, but since we are so far over the holidays (I am so far over the holidays), we are going straight up this time.
This is an elegant and rich salad which could be served as a side dish or a starter.
Be generous with this salad. Be generous with the olive oil, the Parmesan and the walnuts. Be generous because it really is one of those occasions where more is better.
The salad is best served right after tossing, but I’d be lying if I didn’t admit to happily eating leftovers the next day. The salad is certainly better when its fresh tossed, but slightly wilted shaved sprouts covered in a good quality parmesan and olive oil works nicely for lunch.
I used the slicing blade of my food processor to slice the sprouts. You could use just a good sharp knife. But I find the smallest slicing blade on my food processor does the required job in minutes. The sliced sprouts will keep covered and refrigerated for several hours before serving. Assembly is simple enough. Just toss everything together in one bowl. Depending on saltiness of your cheese you may want to add a bit more cheese or a bit of salt. Taste and adjust as necessary.
Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad
- 1 1/2 lb Brussels sprouts tough outer leaves discarded and stems trimmed but left intact
- 1 cup walnuts about 3 1/2 oz, lightly toasted
- 3-4 tablespoons finely grated parmesan or more to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice about the juice from one lemon
- In a food processor with a slicing blade makes quick work of the sprouts. You could also use a mandoline or v-slicer to slice them by hand.
- Toss shaved sprouts with walnuts, parmesan, olive oil and lemon juice. Toss well. Taste for salt, if needed. Serve with additional parmesan on top.
Thank’s for visiting. I’m Trish. I share healthy family recipes to inspire your family to eat their veggies and save room for cake!