Red Lentil and Tomato Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion finely diced
- 1 large fat carrot peeled and diced
- 1 jalapeno finely diced (remove seeds for less heat)
- 1 small sweet potato peeled and diced (about 3/4 of a cup)
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablspoon of all purpose seasoning mix like this one
- 1-3/4 cups of red lentils
- 5 cups water
- 2 cups vegetable stock or water with 2 vegetable boullion cubes
- 398 ml can of diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 3 cups packed, fresh baby spinach
- extra virgin olive oil and aged balsamic vinegar for serving
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven or large soup pot. Add onions, carrots, and jalapeno and saute until onions are tender, 7-8 minutes. Add salt and seasonings and saute for another minute or two or until spices are fragrant. Add sweet potato, lentils, water, stock, and diced canned tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until lentils are soft 30-40 minutes.
- Before serving add spinach and stir into hot soup. Let sit on low heat for a minute or two so that the spinach wilts into the soup. Taste for seasoning and adjust salt and fresh black pepper if necessary.
- For serving drizzle each bowl with a little extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vineagar.
Hi, I’m Trish. I share quick and healthy recipes designed to get you through your busy days, balanced with a generous serving of sweet and decadent treats for weekends and special occasions. You will find vegan, gluten-free and plant-based recipes here too. Thanks for visiting!