So it’s Sunday morning and you are wondering what to have for breakfast. Well, here it is. Lemon Chia Seed Pancakes.
My husband made these for me one morning. Okay – he didn’t make them just for me. He made them for himself too. But these are so special, it felt like he made them just for me.
I’ve been all about chia seeds lately. They have been a staple in my smoothies, but it’s taken me a while to understand their merits in baked-goods. In this recipe we’ve used chia where you might typically use poppy seeds. The chia “melt” a bit more than poppy seeds. I like that they soften and blend in.
These are super lemony pancakes well-balanced with sweetness. You won’t need syrup. They are sweet enough. The yogurt sauce adds a fresh tang here and I think its essential.
Lemon Chia Seed Pancakes
For the pancakes
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup milk your choice, I used unsweetened soy
- 1/4 fresh squeezed lemon juice about 1 full lemon
- 3 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- zest of 1-1/2 lemons
- 1/4 chia seeds
For the yogurt lemon cream
- 1 cup plain unsweetened yogurt
- 2 tablespoons manuka honey
- 1 tablespoon sugar
For the pancakes
- In a large bowl mix dry ingredients (flour through salt).
- In a smaller bowl blend yogurt, milk, lemon juice, melted butter, egg and vanilla. Beat well with a fork to combine.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and stir until just combined. Fold in lemon zest and chia seeds.
- Heat skillet to medium heat. Lightly oil with cooking spray.
- Add batter, about 1/4 cup per pancake, and cook until bubbles start to form on top of pancake. Little holes should form on the top of the pancakes before you flip them over. Flip to cook the other side, another 1-2 minutes or until firm.
For yogurt cream sauce
- Mix yogurt, honey and sugar together in a small bowl.
Thank’s for visiting. I’m Trish. I share healthy family recipes to inspire your family to eat their veggies and save room for cake!