Easy one-bowl Oatmeal Molasses Cookies. Kids love these soft cookies. Perfect for the lunchbox. Vegan and Nut-free.
This is the cookie for when you want something easy to whip together and easy to eat. These cookies are surprisingly addictive.
I find these soft molasses cookies are loved by kids. Not too sweet, not too spicy. Oatmeal gives the cookies some texture and as a mom, means I can feel better about packing a couple in their lunch box.
How to make Oatmeal Molasses Cookies
This is a one-bowl cookie. So the are quick and easy to whip up. No fancy equipment needed.
In a large bowl, whisk together oil, brown sugar, molasses, and hot water. It will be a relatively thin, well mixed and smooth.
Add vanilla, baking soda, salt, ginger, cloves, flour and oats. Fold gently to incorporate using a wooden spoon or spatula.
Drop heaping tablespoons of dough, in round mounds onto cookie sheet. Flatten with fingers if necessary. Cookies will spread as they bake, leave 1-½ inches between them. Bake 8-10 minutes.
Let cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5-10 minutes before moving to a cooling rack.
Notes about making Soft Oatmeal Cookies
- Use un-sulphured or fancy molasses for these cookies. Blackstrap is very strong and can be bitter. Don't use Blackstrap in this recipe.
- Oats give these cookies some texture and fibre. For a slightly softer, less chewy cookie, use quick or minute oats. I like old-fashioned oats here or large flake oats. But consider quick oats if making these for the kids. Especially little ones that are more sensitive to texture.
- Don't use instant oatmeal.
- Recipe makes about 30 medium-sized cookies.
- Store in an air-tight container for about a week or freeze for about 3 months.
Oatmeal Molasses Cookies
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup brown sugar packed
- ½ Cup molasses fancy or light
- ⅓ cup hot water
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1-½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon cloves
- ½-3/4 cups oatmeal oldfashioned or quick oats, not instant
- 2-½ cups all-purpose or nutr-blend, flour
- Preheat oven to 375 and line baking sheets with parchment.
- In a large bowl, whisk together oil, brown sugar, molasses, and hot water until well mixed and smooth. Add vanilla, baking soda, salt, ginger, and cloves. Whisk briefly to incorporate.
- Add oats and flour and fold gently until completely incorporated.
- Drop heaping tablespoons of dough, in round mounds onto cookie sheet. Flatten with fingers if necessary. Cookies will spread as they bake, leave 1-½ inches between them. Bake 8-10 minutes. Let cookies cool on baking sheet for 5-10 minutes before moving to a cooling rack.
How did you get the nutritional analysis?
I have a neat little program called the Living Cookbook. It was Christmas present.
Yum! Who could beat this? Sounds healthy and delicious. Thanks for sharing 🙂 Would you mind checking out my blog?
Food Meanderings says
I love how healthy and easy these are! My kids would love them in their lunch bags!
WONDERFUL way to mix it up with oatmeal cookies! Love the molasses, and love how quickly and easily these come together. That punch of spice from the ginger and the cloves is a perfect way to round everything out too. Cheers!
What is the measurement for the molasses? Thanks!
It’s a half cup! Thanks for catching that for me 😊