I ran 10 miles this weekend. Farthest I have ever, ever ran. I thought my knees were going to fall out. I hear Ottawa is a hilly place and I understand hills are hard on the knees. There are no hills where I live. It's as flat as a pancake. So I can't practice hills. When my Garmin registers elevation changes it's usually because I've climbed up onto the sidewalk. So, to say that I am feeling a little bit nervous about my run in Ottawa would be an understatement. Umm - it's 12 days away! Twelve days!!
Anyway, I have a salad to share today.
Here in Southwestern Ontario, Spring has been very fickle. It's cold, then hot, then cold again. Mother's Day came with frost warnings. A good thing this salad is so bright and summary - it makes it almost impossible to feel anything but ready for summer. It's the kind of salad you want to eat outside. Even if it is too cold to actually eat outside.
Whatever you do, don't skimp on the cilantro. If cilantro is not your thing, don't make this salad. Personally, I am obsessed with cilantro. I freak out a bit when I find it at the grocery store and I can smell it. My favourite thing.
And some other information I don't know what else to do with. There is a part of me that wanted to add a finely chopped jalapeño to this salad. I think the zest and heat would be a nice complement to the sweet orange dressing. And well, cilantro just about begs for jalapeño. But, as I was hoping the kids would nibble on some carrots, kale and cabbage, I didn't dare. I've been accused far too many times of putting something spicy in. And I just don't want to lie to my children
anymore. I'll just leave this with you to consider, do with it what you will.
This salad is perfect for a summer potluck or picnic. It will add colour and flavour to any backyard BBQ spread. This salad is easily made ahead and pack-able. Pack the salad and the dressing separate and toss together a few minutes before serving. However, it keeps well and I was enjoying some leftovers the next day. Still crunchy.
Orange and Cilantro Slaw with Kale
- 1/3 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1/3 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup grape seed oil or other mild tasting oil
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 a large cabbage shredded
- 2 cups kale leave thinly sliced
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 2 medium carrots peeled, coarsely grated
- 1 medium red bell pepper stemmed, cored, cut into thin strips
- 1 fresh jalepeno finely chopped optional
- 6 medium green onions thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 Tablespoons sesame seeds
For the dressing:
- In a mason jar with a lid, mix together orange juice, oil, vinegar, mirn and sesame oil. Add a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Place lid tightly on jar and shake well to blend. Taste for seasonings. Set aside.
For the salad:
- Thinly slice cabbage (I used my food processor with a largest grater attachment, but it could be thinly sliced with a knife). For the Kale, stack the leaves on top of each other, roll into a cigarette shape, then thinly slice crosswise.
- Toss all remaining ingredients, except sesame seeds, together in a large bowl- cabbage, kale, corn, carrots, bell pepper, green onions and cilantro.
- About fifteen minutes before serving toss salad with dressing and sesame seeds.