TexMex Red Potato Salad – this salad is packed with fresh summer sweet corn, tomatoes and sweet red onions all tossed in a creamy jalapeno and cilantro dressing. This is ready for your next summer BBQ.
Let’s pretend it is summer and the summer sweet corn is ready….
Potato salad reminds me of summer BBQs and back yard cook-outs. I love salads like this. They are easy make ahead side dishes. Substantial yet fresh.
This vegan salad is packed with bright flavours and some smokey spice. I’ve added both chipotle chili powder (for smokey-ness) and jalapeño (for heat) to the dressing. Lime brightens everything up.
And the best thing about this salad is you don’t have to wait until Summer to make it. All you need is a bag of frozen corn kernels and some cherry tomatoes and you can pretend its BBQ season.
How to cook the potatoes:
In a medium sauce pan, add potatoes and cover with water. Start the potatoes in cold water and bring to a boil. Once boiling add salt, then reduce heat to a simmer. SImmer until tender and skins start to burst slightly. Potatoes should be tender enough to piece with a fork but not mushy, Drain in a colander and let sit until cool enough to handle and they have dried.
(While the potatoes cool off make the dressing a large bowl.)
I like mini red skinned potatoes for this. They cook quickly and don’t need to be peeled. Cook them whole. Only once they are cool enough to handle, cut them in half, maybe quarters if they are a bit on the large size, then toss them into the bowl with the dressing.
TiP: Keep this salad vegan by using vegan mayo!
This salad is best served the day it is made. You can make it a couple of hours ahead of serving – just refrigerate until it is time to serve. Leftovers will keep for a couple of days (covered and refridgerated) – makes an acceptable packed lunch.
Red Potato Salad with Sweet Corn
- 1 cup mayo (vegan or conventional)
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- zest of one lime
- juice of one lime
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Ancho or Chipote chili powder (or use your favourite chili powder)
- salt to taste
for the salad:
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cup sweet corn kernels (frozen works too, thaw first before adding to salad)
- 1 red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 227 g jar of roasted red peppers drained and sliced
- 1 large field tomato, diced (or half a pint of cherry tomatoes cut in half)
- 3 lbs red skinned mini potatoes
- In a medium saucepan, add potatoes and enough cold water to cover the potoates by an inch or so. Bring to a boil over high heat, add a teaspoon of salt and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer until potato skins start to split and are fork tender. Drain in a colander and set aside while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Mix dressing ingredients together in a large bowl. You will use this bowl to toss the salad, so make sure it is large enough to hold the salad ingredients. Taste for seasoning. Be generous with the salt - be sure you can taste the lime, jalapeno and the cilantro.
- Once potatoes are cool enough to handle, slice them in half, or quarters if very large and add them to the bowl with the dressing. They should be about bite-sized - I like mine big bites. Add remaining salad ingredients. Toss well. Serve at room temperature. Refridgerate if not serving immediately. Can be made several hours ahead.