This Apple and Radicchio Salad is bright and fresh when it’s cold and dreary outside.
- Prepare the dressing and the greens the day before. If you have time, toast the walnuts a bit too. Everything but the apples. I sliced the apples just before tossing with the salad and dressing to keep the apples from turning brown.
- However, I will tell you (as I said I had so much salad the first time) if packed in an airtight container, leftover salad (with the apples, but no dressing) will stay fresh and pretty for a day or two.The greens still nice, crisp – because they are a more sturdy type. If you just toss what you need with dressing, just before serving, you can keep this tucked in the refrigerator for a bit.
- This salad is based on a recipe I found in Cooking Light magazine’s December 2010 issue. I’ve added some greens to the mix and a little sweetness to the dressing to highlight the clementines.
Apple and Radicchio Salad with Walnut Vinaigrette
for the dressing:
- 3 tablespoons juice from fresh squeezed clementines about 2
- 3 tablespoons walnut oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey or agave syrup to keep it vegan
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- a healthy pinch of salt
- 1 small head of radicchio thinly sliced
- 1 small head of boston lettuce thinly sliced
- 1 cup thinly sliced radishes
- 2 Granny Smith apples cut into julienne strips
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts toasted
For the dressing:
- In a mason jar or other container with a air-tight lid, add all ingredients for the dressing. Secure lid and shake well until combined. Taste for salt and adjust if needed.
To assemble the salad:
- Toss all salad ingredients into a large salad bowl. Toss with vinaigrette and divide between serving plates and sprinkle each plate with chopped walnuts. Alternatively, toss all items together in a large serving bowl with vinaigrette and walnuts and serve buffet style.
Hi, I’m Trish. I share quick and healthy recipes designed to get you through your busy days, balanced with a generous serving of sweet and decadent treats for weekends and special occasions. You will find vegan, gluten-free and plant-based recipes here too. Thanks for visiting!