A light and sweet vegetable soup. Use the sweetest peppers you can find. Sweet pepper and Carrot Soup. Plant-based, dairy-free soup recipe
Happy Thanksgiving to my Canadian friends!
And I'm grateful for a weekend full of time with family, time in my kitchen, good food, and a day off to recover. A day off to catch up on stuff, including some work stuff. It feels like stolen time. Its time off the clock. Anything accomplished today is a bonus.
You will be happy to know that I have managed to harass a few family members to share a couple of great recipes with me this weekend. Eventually, I'll share them here.
In between eating we got outside and enjoyed the beautiful weather...
caught a few snakes...
found interesting things in the woods...
plus some good climbing trees...
and made new friends.
This creamy carrot and sweet pepper soup is perfect the day after heavy meals and too much dessert.
A light all-veggie soup. I'm normally not a fan of dill, but in this soup, it really works and adds a nice freshness. I used super sweet mini peppers for this soup. Stick with yellow or orange peppers to complement the colour of the carrots in the final dish. The honey helps bring out the sweetness of the vegetables, only a touch is needed and I don't suggest you skip it. I used water for the base of this soup. Just plain water lets the veggies shine through.
Serve with a nice hunk of crusty bread slathered goat cheese on the side. For a vegan meal, a good slather of this carrot spread would be near perfection...
Carrot and Sweet Pepper Soup
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 sweet white onion roughly chopped
- 1 + ⅔ pounds carrots peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 medium sized white potato peeled and chopped
- 1 cup sliced sweet pepper - yellow or orange
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 sprigs thyme leaves removed or 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 5 cups water
- 2 tbsp. chopped dill
- 1 tbsp. chopped Italian parsley
- Heat oil in bottom of a dutch over over medium heat. Add onions and saute for 5 minutes or so, or until starting to be soften and become fragrant. Add carrots, thyme, potato, peppers, a pinch of salt, black pepper and water. Bring to a low boil, reduce heat and simmer until carrots and vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Puree soup using an emersion blender or in batches in a food processor of blender. Return soup to pot, add more water if you desire a thinner soup, add honey, dill and parsley. Adjust seasonings if necessary. To serve sprinkle with fresh parsley and dill on top and with a nice chunk of crusty bread.