A simple soup with warm sweet spices and coconut milk - Curried Carrot Soup. This creamy soup is vegan.
As soon as the days get shorter and colder, I crave soup. And as of yesterday, winter is here my friends. I am cold and need warmth. This soup is warm, and the sunny bright colour will warm you up too!
This curried carrot soup is simple but surprisingly full of spices. I've used a garam masala spice mix.
I use a garam masala spice mix for this curried carrot soup
Garam masala is one of my favourite curry spice blends. It is a balanced mixture of sweet and hot spices. There is a touch of coriander and cloves in there. Heady sweetness. But savoury at the same time. And it is so, so good.
Traditionally it is a mixture of cumin, corriander, red chili peppers as well as some cinnamon or cardamon. I'm a fan of this PC Black lable spice mix. It seems just right. You will appreciate it over the more genaric "mild curry powder" you will find in the spice ilse.
But.... if you can't find it, use the best quality curry powder you can find. For this recipe, I would stick to a mild curry.
Other than the spices, this soup is just carrots, sweet potato and some coconut milk. It's simple.
As you can see from the pictures, I've used multi-coloured carrots in this batch. Totally not necessary. It was what I had on hand and made for a slightly more intense orange than usual. But please use regular carrots.
Serve this creamy carrot soup as a starter
I love this soup as a starter for a more formal meal. It's bright and full flavour, but not heavy. As a starter it will serve 6-8 easily. Soup reheats nicely and can be made a day ahead.
Of course, you can just serve this along side a sandwich or a crusty piece of bread for a soul satisfying casual meal. And in this case, serve in big wide bowls, be generous, serves 4-6.
Curried Carrot Soup with Coconut
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- 2 tsp garam masala or your favourite mild curry powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, grated
- 2-3 cloves garlic, crushed or pressed in a garlic pressed
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 4 cups carrots, roughly chopped use all colours if you have them!
- 3 cups sweet potatoes, roughly chopped
- 160 ml can of full fat coconut mlik
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add shallots, and saute until just tender, about 5 minutes. Add spices, garlic, and fresh ginger and saute until just fragrant, about 1 minute. Add carrots, sweet potato and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer. SImmer until vegetables are tender, about 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Using an immerson blender and blend soup until smooth. If using a regular blender, blend in batches, being careful to not overfill blender jar. Also keep blender jar slighly vented, but cover the vent with a kitchen towel. Be careful!
- Reserve a small amount of the thick coconut collected at the top of the can to garish the tops of each soup bowl if desired.Return soup to heat, stir in coconut milk and brown sugar. Warm through. Add water or more stock if soup is too thick for your liking. We prefer a nice creamy thick soup. Ladle into serving bowls and garnish with reserved coconut cream, if using. Serve immediately.