This pasta dish was on our meal plan this past week. It was truly a 30 minute meal and fit perfectly into our schedule. Kids loved it too. Feta adds so much flavour, you really only need a little bit to bring the meal to life. Each serving includes a healthy dose of protein (from the mushrooms as well as the feta) and greens.
- Put the water on to boil.
- Wash the spinach, if it's needed, and set it to dry.
- Clean and slice the mushrooms.
- Once the water has come to a boil, add the pasta and put a large (big enough to hold the finished dish) skillet on medium high heat.
- Once the skillet is hot, melt the butter and add the garlic and thyme. Add the mushrooms, sprinkle with black pepper, and cook until tender.
- By the time the mushrooms are tender, the pasta will be done, save some of the pasta water and drain the rest.
- Add the pasta to the mushrooms. Add the spinach and toss to cook the spinach - 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the feta and lemon juice and zest. Eat!
Fusilli with Mushrooms and Feta
- 340 gram box of fusilli
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 300 g cremini mushrooms sliced button mushrooms are a good substitute
- 100 g shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 bunch spinach washed, trimmed, rough chopped
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon of lemon zest
- 1/3 cup feta cheese
- Cook pasta in boiling salted water according to package directions. Save 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking liquid for the sauce.
- In a large skillet melt butter, add thyme and garlic and saute for 30 seconds - don't let the garlic brown. Immediately add mushrooms and black pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes until mushrooms are tender.
- Sprinkle mushrooms with flour and stir for 1 minute. Gradually pour in milk and the 1/2 cup of pasta water, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer. Simmer and stir until slightly thickened - about 4 minutes.
- Stir in pasta and spinach. Let spinach wilt slightly - about 2 minutes. Remove from heat, squeeze lemon juice over dish, add lemon zest and feta and toss well. Serve.