Simple glazed carrots taken to a whole new level. Crumbled feta, fresh mint and chopped candied pecans add sofistication to an otherwise ordinary sidedish.
Glazed carrots are a simple side dish that work nicely on any special occassion dinner table. Add a few extras – like crumbled feta cheese and chopped pecans and instantly you have something memorable.
These carrots are done in one pan and take about 15 minutes to cook from start to finish. Which means you can get these ready for the table just before serving.
Orange and honey add sweetness, contrasting nicely with sharpe and salty feta cheese.
For a special treat I’ve added crushed candied pecans. It’s the holidays after all. But feel free to use any toasted nuts you like. They must be toasted.
How to make Glazed Carrots
It is a fairly simple process. You will want just enough liquid to steam and cook the carrots with the lid on. Once the carrots are tender, you will boil this down to make a glaze, so it’s important to not start with too much. You can always add more.
I like a little bit of celery seed with the butter for these carrots. I find it grounds the flavours and compliments the carrots. Add the carrots to pan, toss in the butter.
Then add 1/3 cup of water, bring to a boil and cover. It’s a quick boil.
After 4-5 minutes the carrots should be fork tender, but not mushy. They should still have a little bit of a bite to them. Don’t over cook your carrots, mushy carrots are not your friend.
At this point remove the lid and boil off the excess liquid. You should be left with just a tablespoon or so.
Add the remaining ingredients: honey, orange juice, orange zest and green onions. Simmer for a few minute and toss the carrots to cover in this lovely sauce. It should be a light glaze.
Serve the finished carrots with crumbled feta cheese, more green onions and chopped toasted pecans. Mint is amazing, add fresh mint if you have it.
I’ve used candied pecans on top, but any roasted nut will do. To make your own candied pecan go here.
To save yourselve time on dinner day – peel and slice the carrots ahead of time.
This recipe makes about 6 servings as a side dish.
Orange Glazed Carrots with Pecans and Feta
- 1 lb carrots, peeled and sliced into thick rounds
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 tsp celery seed
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 Tbsp orange juice
- 1 Tbsp fresh orange zest
- 2 Tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp fresh mint
- 2 Tbsp crumbled feta cheese
- 2 Tbsp chopped pecans or other nuts salted or candied is best
- a healthy pinch of salt
- Melt butter over medium heat in large deep skillet with a tight fitting lid. Add celery seed and allow to sizzle for one minute. Add carrots, toss in butter. Then add 1/3 cup of water. Bring to a hard boil and cover with a lid. Boil, covered for 4-5 minutes.
- After 4-5 minutes, check carrots, they should be mostly tender at this point. Continue to boil on high high to allow liquid to mostly boil off. You just want to tablespoon or so of liquid at the bottom of the pan. Reduce heat, add orange juice, orange zest, green onions and honey. Simmer until slightly reduced. Salt well. Test for seasoning and adjust salt if needed. Remove to serving platter. Drizzle remaining pan sauce over carrots and sprinkle with fresh mint, pecans and feta cheese. Serve immediately
More easy side dishes
Hi, I’m Trish. I share quick and healthy recipes designed to get you through your busy days, balanced with a generous serving of sweet and decadent treats for weekends and special occasions. You will find vegan, gluten-free and plant-based recipes here too. Thanks for visiting!