Making your own bread does not need to be complicated. This easy flatbread recipe is vegan, requires no yeast, no rising time and very little kneading. Up-level your next soup, wrap or hummus with homemade bread.
Making your own bread is crazy satisfying. Something about turning flour into bread is magical and worth every bit of effort. These skillet flatbreads are easy and almost goof-proof -- which I sometimes need in a recipe.
How to make flatbread
Flatbread dough is rolled out and then cooked like a pancake.
If you can make pancakes you can make these skillet flatbreads.
The bread will bubble on top when it is ready to flip -- although I'd say it is more forgiving than pancakes, you can check the bottom to make sure it is cooked enough for your liking before flipping over.
I like mine a bit on the crispy side so I make sure it's a little browned before I give it a flip. For wraps a little brown around the edges is perfect, too crispy and the bread will only break when you wrap it around you filling so don't overdo it.
The bread browns nicely when it has been covered in the thinnest film of oil. I have this little oil-spray bottle that is perfect for this kind of thing. It allows me to get the finest coating of olive oil on my bread before frying. And you only get olive oil (or whatever oil you choose to fill it with) -- no propellants or whatever other chemicals are found commercial cooking sprays. You could also just use your hands or a brush to spread the oil on the dough before you put in the frypan. Just remember a little goes a long way.
You want to oil the dough before you fry it and then place it in a dry skillet. Don't add oil directly to the frypan.
For wraps, I like to roll the dough thinner so that each flatbread ends up about 9 inches. You need a little extra room to actually wrap around your filling.
If you are serving this bread with dips or soup or curry, you don't need to roll quite so thin.
For dinner, we filled these with grilled mushrooms, peppers and onions and our favourite salad dressing. For lunch, I made simple salad wraps - lots of lettuce, a bit of dressing. That's it. A 6 inch round would be more suitable topped with veggies or used for mini pizzas Recipes makes 8 flatbreads.
- Salad wraps - fresh veggies and your favourite salad dressing.
- As is, hot off the skillet with your favourite hummus, with a bowl of straight-up olive oil and balsamic vinegar for dipping, or this homemade roasted red pepper spread
- Pile high with any of your favourite grilled or raw vegetables, whatever is seasonal. Add a yummy sauce or guacamole to pull it all together. Try this feta and garlic drip for a non-vegan option.
- As a side with soup, a hearty curry or stew. Like this tomato and tofu curry or this easy potato and cauliflower curry recipe. Both recipes are vegan!
- Make mini-pizzas. Top with a little bit of sauce, some pizza toppings and vegan or non-vegan cheese of your choice. Place in a hot oven for 8-10 minutes, just long enough to warm up the toppings and melt your cheese.
Vegan skillet flatbreads
- 1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon herbs de provence
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups cold water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil + more for frying the bread
- Mix dry ingredients in a bowl with a whisk - flours, baking powder, seasonings, and salt.
- In a separate bowl whisk together cold water, and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Pour over the flour mixture and stir until it begins to come together.
- Transfer dough to a floured work surface and knead 10-12 times until dough is smooth. You will find that you need quite a bit of flour.
- Cut dough into 8 equal pieces and let them rest 10 minutes.
- Form each ball of dough into a small round then roll as flat as possible with a rolling pin 6-9 inch rounds depending on how you will serve them. Larger, thinner rounds make better wraps.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Working one flatbread at a time, brush or spray one side with olive oil and place in skillet oil side down. With bread still in the pan, coat the up-facing side with oil before flipping over to cook.
- Bread will cook for a total of 6-7 minutes, flipped over about halfway through.
- Transfer to a cooling rack.
- Flatbreads can be made ahead. Warm cooled bread in a skillet or in the microwave (10-15 secs) to soften it up before using as a wrap.