Vegan and gluten-free, sweet and chewy chocolate raspberry bars
Sometimes you just want something chocolate…
..for those times. This week was one of those times. I tend to bake when I am stressed. Some baking happened this week. I also eat chocolate when I’m stressed.
This is a sweet square. The kind that is better served in small bites. And definitely for those that like fruity flavours with their chocolate. I realize raspberry and chocolate is not for everyone. You might want to try these instead. Personally, I just like chocolate, however it comes. ????
Choose your favourite raspberry jam. I prefer a “fruit spread” for this verses full sugar jam. A fruit spread is a little less sweet. A nice cherry preserve would work too. If gluten-free is not a concern for you go ahead and use all-purpose flour in its place. It’s all good.
Here is how you make these gluten-free vegan Chocolate Raspberry Bars:
Chocolate Raspberry Bars
- 1 cup gluten-free all purpose flour blend or all-purpose, GF is not a concern
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons Earth Balance or other plant-based butter spread
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips non-dairy
- 1 cup cherry or raspberry jam
- Preheat oven to 375 and line 8x8 baking try with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, oats, flax, baking soda, sugar and butter in the bowl of a stand mixer (or food processor) and mix or pulse until just combined and crumbly. Dough will stick together when you press in your hand. Save 3/4 cups of the dough and set aside.
- Press the remaining dough into the base of the prepared pan and then spread with jam.
- Sprinkie reserved dough on top of jam. Sprinkle chocolate chips on top. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
- Allow to cool completely on a wire rack before cuting into squares.