Everyone needs a taco casserole in their life. This is my recipe. This vegetarian taco bake is always a crowd-pleaser. Serve with chips or soft taco shells.
If you are ever responsible for feeding more than just yourself (which is most of us, I suppose) this is one of those recipes you need in your life. It’s easy and quick and you can assemble ahead of time. Feed a crowd. Feed the family for dinner. Let the family feed themselves for dinner. Leftovers are just as awesome.
My mom used to make something similar when my brother and I were teenagers. She would make it on Friday nights, and it always meant Mom and Dad were going out for dinner so we were on our own.
Seriously a genius move, Mom.
So much better than pizza. And Mom had made dinner and cleaned up the kitchen before we even got home from school.
Basically, this is a simple layered casserole with all the taco flavours:
Seasoned black beans
more cheese and veggies
make it pretty if you want…. and maybe some more cheese 🙂
That’s it really. Thow the whole thing into the oven and bake until bubbly.
Just a bunch of easy layers. And if you are careful, you can actually get a good quantity of vegetables in there too. I always top the baked casserole with a few more fresh veggies when I serve it.
It’s football season around here, this is one of those recipes you want to have on hand when you have an unexpected crowd.
Serve with soft taco shells and more taco toppings and everyone can help themselves.
This easy taco bake also works great as a dip. Serve with crunchy tortilla chips for a make your own “super nacho” night.
This recipe is gluten-free if served with gluten-free corn tortillas and chips.
Easy Taco Bake
- 2 15oz cans of black beans rinsed and drained, no salt added beans
- 1 fat clove of garlic minced or crushed
- 1 jalepeno finely diced
- 1/2 red onion, chopped about 1 cup
- 1 TBsp cilantro chopped
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp Taco Seasoning like Clubhouse, reduced sodium
- 8 oz brick cream cheese, reduced fat
- 1/4 cup fat-free greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp Taco Seasoning
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 2 cup shredded cheese (tex mex, cheddar, etc)
- 1/2 cup diced red peppers
- 1/2 cup black olives
- green onions
- fresh diced tomatoes
- Combine black beans, garlic, jalepeno, red onion, cilantro, honey salt and 1 tablespoon of Taco seasoning in a large bowl. Mash some beans with a fork. Spread on the bottow of 9×12 casserole dish
- In a small bowl mix together cream cheese, yogurt, 2 tablespoons of Taco seasoning. Dollop on top of black beans in the casserole dish. Sprinkle frozen corn and fresh salsa over top.
- Cover casserole with 2 cups shredded cheese and sprinkle with red peppers and black olives
- Bake @ 350 uncovered for 30-35 minutes or until cheese is melted and casserole is bubbly round the edges.
- Remove from oven. Add additional toppings, your choice – green onions, chopped lettuce, diced tomatoes, fresh cilantro and avocado. Serve with lime wedges, chips or soft corn or flour tortillas.